Can Overripe Mango Make You Sick

Overripe mangoes can make you sick if they’ve started fermenting or souring before you eat them. Likewise, your stomach may not take to the overripe mango even if it hasn’t started rotting yet.

So, it’s best to eat a mango when it’s ripening or appropriately ripe. When it starts getting overripe, it’s best to use the mango for cooking or throw it away altogether.

Is It Okay to Eat an Overripe Mango?

You can eat an overripe mango if it isn’t spoiled. Mangos, when overripe, are extra soft, which allows easy mold growth. Plus, the overripe mango might have started brewing some acids which may not agree with your stomach, causing problems.

However, some people don’t have any issues eating overripe mangoes. Personally, I avoid them only because I like my mangoes firm, which overripe mangoes aren’t.

Finally, you should be able to tell the difference between an overripe mango and a spoiling mango. Otherwise, you might bite into a bad mango, thinking it’s merely past the prime ripening stage.

So, be careful when eating one.

How to Tell an Overripe Mango?

An overripe mango shows little or big dark spots on its already yellow surface, might start growing mold, and give off some alcoholic smell. 

Here’s a more comprehensive outlook on the signs to expect from an overripe mango that hasn’t started rotting yet:

  • Yellow skin. Mangoes usually ripen by turning from a deep green hue to light green, then progressing into yellow.
  • Black spots. Some overripe mangoes may start showing dark spots on the skin. When that happens, you might want to throw the whole mango out.
  • Squishy insides. It’s possible to press into an overripe mango as it has squishy insides. Loss of firmness can also signify mangoes going bad, so be careful to know which.
  • Sweeter than usual. You’ll only find this out after biting into the mango, but it’ll be sweeter than normal. For some, that’s enough reason to let the fruit go overripe before trying it.
  • Sweet, fruity smell. It’s almost like the mango is calling you for a final chance to eat it before it goes bad. 

There may be other telltale signs of overripe mango, but these will get you started faster.

Can You Get Food Poisoning From a Mango?

You can get food poisoning from a mango if it has mold growth or when the mango skin gets contaminated with Salmonella (Bacteria). This is why you should eat mangoes when they are ripe, avoid storing them in conditions where mold can grow on them, and wash your mangoes before eating.

Likewise, a perfectly okay overripe mango may cause food poisoning to others who don’t have the stomach for it – all pun intended.

Someone like me has a sensitive stomach to certain fruits, so I don’t gamble with overripe mangoes. If you’re like me, ripen your mangoes correctly and eat them on time. Fortunately, I enjoy some leeway and can eat slightly unripe mango, as I love the firmness at that stage.

What to Do With an Overripe Mango?

Some people enjoy mango when it’s overripe for its fresh, fruity smell and sweeter taste. For others, it’s because the mango is now softer, which is just how they like it.

However, there are a series of other things to do with an overripe mango besides outright eating it. Here are some:

  • Make mango juice. It’s easier to squeeze softer mango into the juice at this overripe stage.
  • Cook with the mango. If you have any old family recipes that require soft mango/mango puree, this is the time to whip it out.
  • Eat it that way. Or, you can eat the mango if you’re sure your stomach isn’t sensitive to it. Also, check that it’s not spoiled yet.
  • Make mango delicacies. Think mango bars, smoothies, and any other mango-based starter meal you love.

5 Reasons to Not Eat an Overripe Mango

Avoid overripe mangoes that have already started forming mold, have a lot of black spots on the yellow skin, show white patches of mold on the flesh, or have begun oozing liquid.

The pointers below detail the reasons I would avoid an overripe mango if I were you:

  • Bad smell.
  • Cuts and bruises on the flesh.
  • Plenty of black spots.
  • Whitish appearances on the flesh.
  • Alcoholic smell (from internal fermentation).

Frequently Asked Questions

What Does an Overripe Mango Taste Like?

Overripe mangoes usually taste a bit sweeter than regular, properly ripened mangoes. However, it’s also more watery, and this new taste can be due to more of the juices being available to you than before.

However, once a mango starts to taste alcoholic (or smell the same), it’s starting to go bad and should be thrown away for the sake of your health.

Is It Okay to Eat Brown Mango?

Completely brown mango is not safe to eat as this is often a sign of the insides of the mango being bad. However, some parts of the mango may go brown from having been squashed/bruised during transportation. In that case, the rest of the mango can still be eaten while discarding the brown part.

Can Mangoes Be Poisonous?

Rotten mangoes can be poisonous as they begin to ferment when going bad, releasing gasses that are harmful to the stomach and may lead to food poisoning. Knowing that mangoes don’t compost fast and may release methane gas in landfills, it’s no surprise why sour mangoes are harmful and poisonous.

Why Does My Stomach Hurt After Eating Mango?

You may have a sensitive stomach to the mango fruit’s juices or may have eaten an unripe mango. Likewise, overripe mangoes don’t agree with some people’s stomachs and could cause a reaction.

Otherwise, you may have to reach out to a doctor to find out why you’re getting a stomach ache after eating a perfect mango.

Eat Your Mangoes Right

The best way to eat a mango is when it’s adequately ripened. While I mention my weird preference for just-ripening mangoes, not everyone has the stomach for that.

So, to be safe, get well-grown mangoes when they’re ripe, wash them properly and consume them before they go bad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *